Thursday, September 16, 2004

Weathering the storm (or hurricane as it were)

I am so tired of hearing about Hurricane Ivan. I live in Huntsville, Alabama and right now,I'm looking at the wind and rain outside and trees swaying in the breeze.I was so worried about the weather, I didn't go to sleep till around 11 or so.

Mom and I went to Super Walmart yesterday to get some dinner and the lines there were ridiculous. People were buying hundreds of dollars worth of food and all I could do is shake my head at them. For some reason,I'm guessing people here equate hurricane and flooding with sereve winter weather (snow) and so, they buy lots and lots of eggs, bread, and other stupid stuff. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people being prepared for the worse. I do have a problem with folks who freak out and shop as though the world is coming to an end.I just feel like getting on the intercom system at Walmart and saying:

Do you really need all the stuff?If you lose all your electricity, then what are you gonna do? You'll be crying in the dark because instead of remembering to buy candles and matches, you bought 12 boxes of pizzas,chicken and other stuff that if you how no power, will get really ugly really fast.

Right now, I am stuck at work while Ivan is working outside.For some reason, the library decided to open up today and act as if this is a regular business day. The few patrons that have come into to the library all ask the same question:why is the library open? Good question.

I don't think I'd be so upset except for the fact that everything else here is closed. This means schools, banks, Marshal Space Flight Center, even Madison Square Mall. But the library, like a U.S. mail, presses on in rain, gloom, or dark of night.

All I can do now is pray that when I leave fro work at 5, the worst of Ivan will hold off until I get home. I hope my mom is okay. She was leaving from work early too to try to beat this. Pray for us and all those who have been affected by Ivan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 52 Book Club's 2024 Reading Challenge

Each year, I take on different reading challenges as a way to get outside of my reading comfort zone. For 2024, I plan to read a total of 10...