Sunday, December 15, 2019

My First Marathon aka race recap: Honolulu Marathon


When I first start running consistently in 2011, I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would someday complete a marathon. The idea of run 26.2 miles was daunting to say the least and I felt that women like me don't do marathons (plus size and slow.) Thanks to an increase in plus size/fat role models in the running world such at Latoya Shauntay Snell (aka runningfatchef,) Mirna Valerio (aka the mirnavator,) Martinus Evans (aka 300poundsandrunning,) Jill Angie (aka not your average runner) and other, they inspired me to tackle the challenge of completing a marathon!     

Below are photos from the marathon expo, race day, while on the race course as well as post race and finisher expo photos. If you're someone planning to check complete a marathon off your bucket list, I can't recommend this race highly enough. There is no course time limit so you can take as long as you need to complete the distance. I finished the marathon in 8:51:26 however the marathon course stays open until the very last person finishes which were two participants from Japan who finished in 17 hours.  
 

 

 

The race course was beautiful and the course support staff where friendly and helpful. I enjoyed that I could take my time to fully take in all the sights and sounds of Honolulu. The aloha spirit was definitely in full effort on race day.

 

 


After completing the marathon, finishers were given a shell necklace as well as the medal. On the following day, finishers had the opportunity to pick up their official finisher certificates as well as have the certificate laminated and framed.I am so happy to be able to check this off my bucket list as well as having completed my big running goal for the year of completing a marathon.This was absolutely the best way to end my 2019 year of running!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 52 Book Club's 2024 Reading Challenge

Each year, I take on different reading challenges as a way to get outside of my reading comfort zone. For 2024, I plan to read a total of 10...