Thursday, October 23, 2003

Being a grown-up is too hard

The statement was once made that you don't miss what you had until it's gone; I now know this to be true.
There are so many things I miss about being a kid that I appreciate at 24.

Here's a few things I miss:

I miss being a kid and not having responsibility.
I miss hanging out with friends during the summer all day long and then hearing my mom yell for us to come in when the streetlights came on.
I miss walking home from school on a warm spring day.
I miss running after the ice cream truck and paying with pennies.
I miss naps in the middle of the day.
I miss childhood friends (you know, the friends you had before people became popular, formed cliques, and left you behind).
I miss field trips that lasted most of the day.
I miss recess and trying the swing higher than anyone had ever swung before.
I miss the innocence of not knowing how the world really is.
I miss coming home to my grandma standing in the kitchen over a big pot collard greens.
I miss Valentine Day parties and Christmas parties where everyone got a gift/valentine.
I miss getting a new Easter Dress for church.
I miss believing that the world was infinite and that I could be whatever I wanted to be.
I miss mom making grilled chesse sandwiches and soup on cold days.
I miss when MTV actually showed music videos all day and shows occassionally.
I miss not having bills.
I miss not feeling appreciated.
I miss all the people that have passed on and all the wisdom that they gave me but I ingored.
I miss not being in certain situations again;I'd know exactly what to do/say now.
I miss having heroes.
I miss being able to walk to the corner store without the fear of being grabbed or talked to by strange men.
I miss having a dollar and thinking I was the richest girl in the world.
I miss...I miss...I miss.

Being a grown-up is too hard. I want to go back to being a kid, if only for a little while.

There's always too much to do and not enough time to do it. Bills never end, you never make enough money.
Even relaxing seems only temporary.

Another sign of being a grown-up comes when you find out that the elementary school you went to changed its name.It makes me sad because I still call it by the old name and people have no clue what I'm talking about.

I guess in the end, we're all really big children, only the playgrounds are bigger, the stakes are higher, and the social circles are larger. Still, I'd like to reclaim a little of my childhood innocence, if only for a brief moment.

Embrace your childhood cause once it's gone, it's gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 52 Book Club's 2024 Reading Challenge

Each year, I take on different reading challenges as a way to get outside of my reading comfort zone. For 2024, I plan to read a total of 10...