Tuesday, November 18, 2003

What happened to willpower?

I was reading a People magazine from last week and I was disgusted by the cover.The cover had two women on the front who were being praised for having cosmetic work (thousands of dollars worth)done to themselves.I feel awful that this seems to be a new trend that's sweeping the nation of having anything you can think of surgically altered.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should don't get sugery done if that makes you happy or if it's a matter of life or death. I am saying that to me, it's ridiculous seeing what measures people will go to in order to be defined as "beautiful" by society.

So far, I know of two people who have had the gastric bypass done, a girl name R. and her mother. Her mother was scared to get it done, so R. went first although the doctor told her that she didn't need the surgery.Now several months later, they've both had it done and I have a feeling that R.'s sister will eventually have it done also.R. thinks she is the most beautiful girl in the world now, but she isn't. This is becuase she has yet to learn a important lesson that come with having any type of surgery:all the money in the world can't change your mind or your attitude. If you're a mean fat person, having weight loss surgery will only turn you into a mean skinny person.

I really wonder sometimes when did we all get so lazy that we've had to resort to surgery? I kind of think it has to do with the fact that we live in an instant society when we expect eveything to happen instantly. No one believes in waiting for things anymore. Why should they when things can be done so quickly?

The other thing that annoys me to no end are people who get weight loss surgery because they don't want to be in control of their lives;they want an outside force to control them.What do I mean? Okay, let's say that I really want an extra large pizza with the works. Once I get the pizza, it's up to me to decide how much I want and to exercise the willpower to stop when I feel full. There are some people who say that they have no willpower and no control when it comes to food so they need surgery to help them.

Personally, I would never get the surgery for two very important reasons. First, I feel that I can find anohter way to lose weight without having to shell out thousands of dollars. I owe it to myself to learn to eating the proper way, not surrender to what's trendy. The other reason for me not having the surgery is because I belive what the bible says about your body being a temple. I feel that it is a complete waste of time altering your body. I mean,it's not like you're going to be able to take it with you when you die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 52 Book Club's 2024 Reading Challenge

Each year, I take on different reading challenges as a way to get outside of my reading comfort zone. For 2024, I plan to read a total of 10...