Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Everyday Acrobatics (Poem)

Who shall I be today?

Wake up to walk between two worlds

tightrope so thin, you can hardly see it

professional vs cultural

compliant co-worker vs savvy soul sister

too many masks create a heavy head.

Back hurts, neck strains but "strong black women" smile through the pain.

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Work twice as hard for three times the ignorance

Pulled in multiple directions, tugged in a war not of my own making

Can't play both sides when you don't know the rules of war

Acting as a midway point, balance is non existent

Personality is malleable
Smile (but not too big)
Help everyone (but don't ask for help because that shows weakness)

Bending one's self daily is exhausting
One's sense of self becomes murky

Pray for salvation, reconciliations or at least a temporary truce. 

Written 6.2.20

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 52 Book Club's 2024 Reading Challenge

Each year, I take on different reading challenges as a way to get outside of my reading comfort zone. For 2024, I plan to read a total of 10...